super Skunk. a first grow. grow tent, CFL and LED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: super Skunk. a first grow. grow tent, CFL and LED
    Posted: 27 September 2012 at 12:21
Background:
Feminized super skunk seeds from sensi seeds bank.
A 1.5m hight grow tent.
18W 60cm Flora (from an old aquarium)
120W CFL
90W UFO LED (for now... Will probably add...)
10L air pots with Coco-ferlite
Bio Bizz stuff.

That's the important stuff :). I'm already past germination on 2 seeds. I'll add the history from another topic, and continue from this point.

Full of excitement :) and hoping for a fruitfull grow,

AK.
organicgrow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote organicgrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 12:43
Best of luck :) keep us posted
"I support and oppose many things, but not strongly enough to pick up a pen." - Bender
PetrolSS View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote PetrolSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 19:31
yah man i'm down to see what you get with them there led's
Social revolution in the 1960's US was necessitated and made inevitable by the accelerated convergence of polydimensional conflict within the shift from a rural-urban society, technology, and mobility
ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 03:53
I figured the LED will draw attention....anyway - it's too soon %3c3cink.

Germination first !

I’ll just mention briefly seeds #1 and #2 (RIP), that were placed immediately into wet jiffies and never seen again… %3cry

Hence – first lesson learned – follow the advice of the wise and experienced http://en.sensiseeds.com/best-way-to-germinate-seeds/ and start germination out of medium … I was simply a nervous wreck those days ….

So starting with #3 and #4.

Sat. 22 Sep 13:00: Both placed on a tampon, cut in half, and soaked with PH reduced tap water  (both from same package same everything).

Sun. 23 Sep:

#3 – showed 2 mm root after less than 20 hrs, and was placed into a Jiffy.

#4 – showed 1 mm root after 30 hrs ! …., and impatiently was also placed in a Jiffy.

Both placed under continuous Flora tube (18W) 10 cm distance.

Mon. 24 Sep 19:30.

#3 – after 54hrs.  already 1.5 cm high (great joy %3cig%20smile …. not like the birth of my kids… but still considerable… :-) )

#4 – No Show…..

So … being impatient again –

#5 - is called to duty and placed in a soaked tampon. same treatment.

Side comment-  seeing the seedling first time, a little gray, and with the shell still on, not knowing what to expect – was a bit alarming…. I thought it was dying on me as well…

Ofcourse after few hours it turned out everything is OK, but – first-timers – try to know what to expect %3cpprove

Tue. 25 Sep 14:00.

#4 – shows signs of life %3cig%3c

#3 & #4 are placed under CFL 120W – 24/0.   ~ 10 cm distance, with a small vent running… propagator covered on and off.

both are watered with a low dose of BioBizz Root Juice.

#5 – seeds cracks … (now I have 3 seeds and only 2 air pots LOL)

Wed. 26 Sep 18:00.

#3 – already 4cm high.  (Avg of 1 cm for 24 hrs – Is this Normal ??)

#5 -  shows 3 mm root – placed in a jiffy. under flora tube.

Thu. 27 Sep 20:00.

#3, #4 are almost same height (4-5 cm).  Both potted in the Coco-Perlite (small pots) and watered with Root Juice, 6.0 PH.

and are placed into their first 6 hrs night from 22:30  :-)  sweet dreams.

and #5 is already raising his head…

That's it for today.

in one hour the sleeping bueties will wake up after their first night.... but I'm going to sleep now !

AK.

1966 View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote 1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 11:06
Good luck with rest of the grow ak50
If you are unsure about anything just ask as we are all here to help each other and newbies don't ask stupid questions its a person that doe's not ask who are the stupid ones.
You and your little ones have a good day
Live and let live
PetrolSS View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote PetrolSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 19:41
dude seriously, killer journal. haha i know i'm supose to compliment you on the plants but seriously, this thing is complete, professional and well organized with lots of photos. cheers, i'll be watching
Social revolution in the 1960's US was necessitated and made inevitable by the accelerated convergence of polydimensional conflict within the shift from a rural-urban society, technology, and mobility
ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 17:11

Guys, thanks for the feedback!

First, I put the pictures with the number of hours, because this is what I was missing myself, in order to get a feeling of what I should be expecting.

I’m sure there’s much info out there on the savannas of this forum, and frankly, I’m first trying to find and read as much as I can before posting yet another newbie question (thanks ’66 for clearing this out %3cmbarrass%3cd ) 

I suppose I’ll be switching now to days (instead of hours)…

#3 and #4 are 7 days old today (always from stating from germination…)

besides the Root Juice they were given nothing so far. 

Per BioBizz charts – mid first week I should already give them some Bio-Grow, so this will be done today…

does this sound right?

Is there a preferred time to water?   At the beginning of the 18 period? or towards the 6?

Seedlings look OK?

Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote organicgrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 20:18
Hey ak
Seedlings are pictures of health. Well done.

Since you're using a soil-less medium you can begin to feed now but really it's not necessary yet and you might end up doing more harm than good. Anyway, if you're intending to feed make sure the solution is  extremely dilute (1/8 strength). Then you can gradually increase the concentration on subsequent feedings. This is by far the safest approach to fertilization IMHO.

You seem to like to spend time with your babies; so study them patiently, they will communicate their needs pretty clearly if you learn to listen.

Best of luck on your endeavor

And BTW what happened to those first two seeds?
"I support and oppose many things, but not strongly enough to pick up a pen." - Bender
ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2012 at 10:54
Thx OG.
Clearly, since the other 3 seeds (from same package) behaved according to expectations :), I did something wrong with the first two.

My guess is that I buried them too deep in the Jiffy. I think it was a full 1cm over their heads...

With the others, after reading the link mentioned and some other stuff, I made a hole sufficient only for the root plus the size of the seed plus 1-2mms over the head... No more.

2 wks passed for these two. Caused u asked, I took out one of them from the Jiffy. its black and hard no sign of anything ever cracking it...the other Jiffy is being used for a red pepper seed already :)
ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2012 at 19:07
Today at around noon I had a short power break...   The seedlings, inside a closed grow tent, sufferred a 15-20 minutes of full darkness, just in the middle of thier 18 hrs "day".
they are 9 days old.

Something to worry about?  any thoughts please?

I'm gonna install a UPS....
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote organicgrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2012 at 20:41
Nope, nothing to worry about at this point. These plants can take quite a bit of light regimen abuse when they are in veg.
ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2012 at 22:14
Here's my #3 .. with a Black spot !!!
can anyone advise?  Symptom of what?
ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2012 at 00:50
I think the problem is solved, but I'm too stoned to write about it now.
ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2012 at 10:16

Good Morning.

Trying to figure out what's wrong,

Looking at some stuff already in the forum on different symptoms shown on leaves, 

Looking very closely at the seedlings, verifying nothing is crawling on them,

checking that the coco was dry at the upper layer (previous watering was 48 hrs before)...

and realizing that at least this was not symptoms of overwatering....

there was only the spot in the middle - nothing at the edges. and overall the leaves were less green and (maybe imagination) a little yellowish in some areas on it.

So Yesterday morning - Day 11 - after much hesitation ...I decided to water again for now-

Water only, no Root Juice. less reducing the pH - to ~ 6.5 (previously I reduced to ~6.0, and I'm using the simple yellow paper sticks).

I tested the waters coming out from the coco (if it makes sense ...) and it looks like 6.0.  ie. 0.5 lower then what's coming in.

anyway - after ~20 hrs - ysterday evening -

There were no new black spots.

The black spot seems to remained same size...within the two veins on the leaves.

and overall the leaves became a little more greenish...

Still there are some yellowish spots appearing.. marked on the pictures below - from this morning:

thoughts?

AK.

alsc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2012 at 13:35
hay AK, those seedlings look lovely!
no worries for the 18 minutes of lights break, really dude, that's nothing!

expecially in veg light issues are not really a problem... in flowering it could be a problem if your timer fucks up and you get more hours of light during the dark period. that could cause big stress for the flowering plants (which need 12 hours of uninterrupted darkness).
stress like that can cause revegging flowering plants and/or hermaphrodite tendencies.

very nice diary by the way and good luck!
al.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>