Petrol's Stench

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PetrolSS View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Online Status: Offline
  Quote PetrolSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Petrol's Stench
    Posted: 09 September 2012 at 21:54
It's been a while since I've been on here - real life happens.
'
My life has settled down rather drastically, however, and now that I have had the free time to reconstruct an environment and propagate a batch of White Rhino pheno's for selection, I thought I should jump on here, create a journal, get all the help i can, and teach what i can.

As of now, there are not any plants flowering, I am being patient and giving my plants all the time they need to mature.

Because of space, and legal requirements on # of plants, all but one of my seedlings have been recently cloned and killed. A few phenotypes that expressed female characteristics were throw out early due to undesirable growing characteristics. For example, one phenotype was a towering 3x the height of the others, with half as many nodes and 0 lateral branching. not what i'm looking for.

I have one plant from seed, which we will name "Dora," (fig. 1). so far, she is exhibiting the most desired characteristics and she is indeed showing female pre-flowers.

(Fig1.1)

(Fig. 1.2)

I'll also refer to Dora as Pheno A. Pheno B is also in the Running. Pheno B grew tall and lacked lateral branching but was tightly packed with nodes.

In two weeks, clone Pheno Bi, and 2 clones of Pheno A will be veg'd for 3 wks.   Pheno Ai clones will be topped the day vegetative growing begins, and again at day 12. Pheno Aii will be left to do whatever she so pleases. Aii serves as the control for a small sample trial for cropping and affect on yield, as well as a small sample trial for determination of final phenotype selection when compared to Pheno Bi. Pheno Bi will also be left to do whatever she so pleases.

The Original Pheno A from seed will be placed into flowering ~7 days from today. this plant will be for not kind of comparison or selection - i just need some pot.

Environmental Spec's:
24hrs light - no dark period; 400 watt MH (generic), 600 watt Hortilux Super HPS for flowering
temp. 72-74F (I find F to be a much more exacting and scientific measurement than C, unless of course i'm dealing directly with water.)
Humidity: 59-71%
C02: 950-1300 ppm (this is simply what is natural in the house. i'll have to refill my c02 this week. i haven't used it thus far. when i use it, it will be set at 1350 and will not fluctuate.

For Pheno A from seed, pure Fox Farms soil was used. in the future i will dilute fox farm soil with equal part of a pH/nutrient neutral soil

Water Source (including all source of water for humidifiers and Ultra-Sonic Vaporizer used for clones) is an RO system which depletes water of all parts, and then replaces ~40ppm CalMag. pH stays set at 6.3 for all utilities.

Social revolution in the 1960's US was necessitated and made inevitable by the accelerated convergence of polydimensional conflict within the shift from a rural-urban society, technology, and mobility
mellow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 11:00
Good luck with your grow, chair pulled :).
PetrolSS View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote PetrolSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 21:26
begin c02 enrichment at 1350 ppm....now.
Social revolution in the 1960's US was necessitated and made inevitable by the accelerated convergence of polydimensional conflict within the shift from a rural-urban society, technology, and mobility
obsessive View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote obsessive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 22:56
i am interested in the co2 effect but why do you think that topping will affect the yield? Surely the plant is only capable of converting a fixed amount of energy into bud growth and the surface area of foliage is key.  light per m2 to yield is a constant ratio.assuming that the  the length of the lightwaves is appropriate. There will be an ideal co2 level.  What i am unclear about is when the co2 should be present. I would expect that the greatest return will come from the exposure during the vegative and early flowering period when the presence of additional co2 has the effect of increasing nodal growth and leaf mass. I will follow your experiment closely. Thank you for sharing.
PetrolSS View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote PetrolSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 23:29
every strain and every genetic is different - and even from the most credible sources i've heard varying and even conflicting ideas on the pros and cons and super-cropping (topping like crazy) and not even touching the plant. For this reason - i'm just gonna figure 'er out myself. The end-goal is to discover how to produce the most of the best product, under a specific veg period and flower period (to be determined by the pheno herself), with a specific amount of light and air and soil space. the shape and structure therefore is the changing variable. does diffusion of hormones increase yield? or affect potency in anyway?

as for c02 - i've used it in past and i've grown without c02 most recently and been devastatingly disappointed in yield and density of the buds.

the fact is that c02 is beneficial in EVERY stage of the plants life. that being said, you are completely right that during veg and early flower the benefits are scene in the proliferation of nodes and also in the strength of the fibers (branches become stronger to support heavier buds) and later in flowering c02 promotes super dense bud structure.

in the past i've used c02 running at about 80degrees F under the impression that i needed this extra temp to make c02 useful. I've had professionals in gardening (unrelated to cannabis) give me reason to believe that this is a fallacy - therefore i will be running my c02 at my (~)73F temperature this cycle.

the only thing i've noticed that i've had to watch out for repeatedly with c02 is that the leaves will do one of three things A)form a small amount of chlorosis (i assume from too much c02) B)the leaves will need extra nitrogen) c)the leaves will be more easily burned by light

c is least likely as c02 enrichment should necessitate higher levels of light. my guess is a combination of A) and B) but in the past i was never able to pin point the exact cause of my pale leaves. the fact is my light WAS too close back then as well.

we'll see what happens. What i will say about c02 is it changes the entire rythm of growing. no more wait a week and see what happens - shit changes over night!!! so i'll post a few pics over the next week to show how the plant reacts to sudden c02 enrichment

PetrolSS View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote PetrolSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2012 at 15:44
so this is officially the 48 hr mark for c02 and about 56 hours from the last picture (i think)
PetrolSS View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote PetrolSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2012 at 02:17
went ahead and flipped the lights, so day 2 of 12/12. recovering beautifully from the note overdose

bit of a change in plan, Pheno Ai, and Pheno Bi will be a go but Pheno Aii will not be in the running.

alsc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2012 at 20:52
looking beautifull petrol!

can co2 enrichment affect taste and potency?
i don't think topping (re-distrubution of hormones) affect taste and potency... right now i have a big PPP topped plant and a clone from her which hasn't been topped... i'll see the difference, if there's any! :-)

how are you running co2 enrichment?

best,
al.

PetrolSS View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote PetrolSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2012 at 00:19
im not worried about taste and potency - i'm more worried about diminshed yield due to spreading the hormones to thin by cropping too much. besides, i may be able to get the same yield by not touching her at all and that's just easier.

as for c02, it does not affect potency or taste - though it raises the metab of the plant by ~30% which in the end means faster finishing with bigger harvests. as much as 30% bigger harvest assuming every other condition is superb. therefore, it can make your plants produce more THC in total, but not at any higher of a concentration

i use a 100 euro cylinder with a 100 euro regulator that's electronically triggered - that plugged into a 650 euro environmental controller that runs my A/C, Heat, Humidifier/Dehumidifier, & c02

costs me around 13 for 6 wks of c02 in a space of about 4.5 cubic meters. the tent is NOT airtight though C02 levels stay at the perfect spot, and the A/C unit steals c02 as well but not at any rate i can tell

edit: guess i should also mention that i recirculate my air. its implied but bah ill say it. sucks in through a carbon scrubber and back into the grow room under neath the plant table. there are two fans circulating air in the tent itself. one is omnioscillating - so it oscillates in a 360 degree motion up down and side to side. that circulates the c02, the other is a simple tower fan which swivels back and forth spreading air around the geopots for aeration and for general circulation at the floor of the tent where c02 - being heaving than air - tends to accumulate and sit

my whole set-up, from nothing to everything including genetics, would cost around 3,500 euro to duplicate. It's taken me years to create such a cost efficient set-up.
2easy View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote 2easy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2012 at 09:19
hey petrol. jsut so you know there is no way you can over do it when it comes to topping etc. essentially the plant is growing all those tops so it can support them. it is true that maybe you will have many smaller colas  as opposed to a few really large ones but trust me the overall weight will be much higher if you have a nice even canopy and all your buds have equal access to light. i have grown clones from the same mother. one with no topping and one under a scrog. same conditions same veg period same everything and the difference was about 4 oz on the plant grown single cola style and around 10 oz on the scrogged plant. more than double.
PetrolSS View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote PetrolSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2012 at 14:04
i've done the myriad of option in the past - i've just never grown them side by side to get a true comparison. regardless, that test got thrown out due to legal requirements
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2012 at 23:03
Hey Petrol,
Sounds like a nice setup, looking forward to seeing how flowering progresses.
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
PetrolSS View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote PetrolSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2012 at 19:57
Day 9 of 12/12.

lights just came on an hour or two before the photo and i noticed she doesn't have her usual perk. checked environmental conditions and everything is stable and has been. on the one hand I did figure she could probably do for watering last night but decided to leave it for this morning. perhaps she was just a thirsty girl but i'm not sure. let me know if you have any idea for the unhappy hanging of her leaves

also, HPS 600 watt replaced the 400 MH on Day 7
PetrolSS View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote PetrolSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2012 at 07:10
she perked up throughout the day, once that h20 started really running through 'er veins

though I got concerned and im nearly positive i've had my light too close. both in the past and presently. its not a matter of heat but of intensity. so moved 'er up from about 30 cm distance to 60 or 70cm distance from the canopy. the way the light is being projected i feel like this makes so much more sense as im getting much better light distribution in general throughout the tent as a result
PetrolSS View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote PetrolSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2012 at 17:08
as of now there are 4 plants in veg, 2 of Pheno A and 2 of Pheno B. the Pheno B phenotypes are impressing the fuck out of me straight of of clone - explosion of nodes. i'm excited to flower her and see what happens with her.

as soon as I can select one of these phenotypes i'll have things set up in a stable enough cycle to start working on jack herer phonos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>