Pure power plant hermie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
buckyohare View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote buckyohare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pure power plant hermie
    Posted: 05 September 2012 at 18:37
I'm currently growing pure power plant feminized bought from sensi seeds and they keep producing seeds late in flower.

The growing environment is perfect and there have been no light leaks.
Has anyone else had problems with these and what have you done to prevent this?
Is it just because they are feminized?

Perpetual organic soil grow
Plant magic soil and nutes.

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 12:01
There are seeds in the buds, but are there ever visible male flowers being produced by the females when they're flowering?

Or the single pollen-distributing stamens that are usually seen in a cluster of five at the centre of a true male flowers (often called 'bananas')?

If the plants are in a sealed indoor enclosure, they're probably self-pollinating, even if the staminate flowers/growths are undetectable.

If air is drawn in from outside, it's possible that pollen is being carried into the room from elsewhere, but if it happens regularly at the end of flowering then self-pollination is more likely.

From the description, it sounds as though these plants are clones, and that there have been several crops from the same mother plant.

Cloning feminised plants is still a fairly new phenomenon. We used to assume that stressing a fem mother plant would lead to weird clones quite quickly, but after we started to experiment with doing so, we found that fem mother plants can give good clones for a long time. Probably not as long as a true female, but during the first dozen or so cycles of clones from a fem mother-plant, we didn't get an explosion of hermaphrodites or misshapen plants.

However, if bananas or limited numbers of staminate flowers started to appear in later cycles of clones cut from fem plants, it wouldn't be too surprising.

The thing about cloning is that it removes the need for feminised seeds. A grower who can clone well and run two separate light cycles never really has to worry about male plants from seed, as every female can be multiplied indefinitely.

If planning a long-term grow with mothers and clones, it's better to start with regular seeds.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
alsc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 13:53
hi bucky,
i am growing pure power plant as well. i have a small grow, with 3 plants from seeds and just 4 clones taken from these.
i have experienced no hermi tendencies whatsoever. they showed their sex preatty early. now i'm at week 8 of flowering (counted since the first real flowers appeared) and no bananas luckily.
sometimes it's just bad luck! :(

best, al.

Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote buckyohare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2012 at 12:56
Hi thanks for your in depth reply's.

There are no male flowers and no bananas. The seeds are not very developed at all, they are very small.
Just harvested the first two at 8weeks and 2 days and there seems to be a lot of calyx's still waiting to flower, could be 2 weeks premature by the looks of them but don't want to risk creating more seeda.

Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote buckyohare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2012 at 13:00
Is there any way of posting pic's on this forum to show you what i mean?
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2012 at 15:46
If there are only a few seeds, and since the pollination is apparently happening quite late (given that the seeds are undeveloped), there's probably no need to remove the females early.

Pollination and seed production doesn't lower the potency of weed, or cause it to stop making new calyxes. Some weight is lost to seeds, but there have to be dozens or hundreds of full-grown seeds to make much of an impact on the weight of a harvest.

All in all, harvesting early is more likely to cause a decline in potency and weight than limited pollination.

To post a pic, make sure it's under 200kb, then click this button:

...which will open the 'full reply' box. From there, click this button:

...which will take you to the image upload screen, where you just have to follow the instructions.

Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote buckyohare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2012 at 17:10

Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote buckyohare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2012 at 17:13

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2012 at 17:15
The calyxes at the bottom of the bud don't look pollinated, as far as I can tell.

I'd leave them flowering for the normal time.
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote buckyohare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2012 at 17:16

EDIT -  the discussion has gone a lot further on the next page, but I thought I should point out that these calyxes do not look pollinated/fertilised to me. They just look like normal, senescent calyxes. If a seed were growing inside, they would be bigger.
G

There are very small under developed seeds in the calyx and stayed like that through to the end of flower.
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote buckyohare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2012 at 17:24
Yeah sorry about bad pic's, camera phone.
How can you tell if they have been pollinated? The brown pistils.
Already cut though.
They had 58 days which should have been enough but i'm going to give the next ones an extra week, hopefully that will be enough because the next ones have to go in.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2012 at 18:03
Pistils go brown anyway, even if the calyx remains unpollinated.

If a white-haired calyx receives pollen while active, the pistils will turn orange very soon after.

The viable lifespan of a calyx - when it can receive pollen and make a seed - is about 4-8 weeks if it remains undamaged. When it can no longer support a seed, it becomes senescent and its pistils turn orange.

Orange pistils indicate that a calyx can no longer receive pollen, but not necessarily that it has already been pollinated.
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote buckyohare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2012 at 18:46
Well thanks for all your help ganja, but i have just one more question.

Well two actually.
Why would a plant not mature in the normal time?
And what could i do to speed it up?

I'm already thinking of putting them in 36 hours darkness before 12/12 to get them to flower faster.
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2012 at 08:44
Hi Bucky, firstly I'd like to say - wow the resin on those buds looks great!

Secondly, do you mean the plants have been in 12/12 for 58 days or that the plants have been flowering for 58 days?

PPP should flower finish flowering around 50 - 60 days after the onset of floral clusters. If you have been counting since you changed the lighting to 12/12 then you will probably still have a couple of weeks to go because your count includes the transition period between vegetative growth and bloom.

I don't think a long dark period before 12/12 will initiate flowering any earlier.
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote buckyohare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2012 at 12:07
Thanks Sarah Louise, it is a very resinous strain and the smell is amazing, very sweet.

Yeah 58 days since 12/12, didn't realize it had to be counted from then.
I'm a bit screwed really, i can only give them an extra 8 days as i'm doing perpetual sea of green and i have no more room.

Ok so you don't think the long dark period will work but i have to try as i'm not sure what else to do.
I have a nutrient called ripen that's supposed to speed up and enhance the ripening process, but i'm reluctant to use it because i'm growing organic, what do you think?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>