shiva skunk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mtn grown View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mtn grown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shiva skunk
    Posted: 29 July 2012 at 12:30
hello everyone . i need some advice on the possibility of stabilizing shiva skunk for seed to use in my outdoor grow.about 6 yrs ago i got some sensi shiva skunk seeds and found them to do very well outdoors for me (37 n)so i got some f2 seed from the originals and then some f3s but they are starting to show some variations .i still have some of the f2 seed as well as a new pack of beans from sensi,along with a pack of nl and sk#1.any ideas on how i might cross, backcross ,etc to somewhat eliminate the variations found in the f3 seed?
mtn grown View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote mtn grown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2012 at 01:33
c'mon people .just asking for a little advice......i do not expect to truly stabilize this strain just make it more stable for my use.any insight you can give will be appreciated.
sicklehand View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote sicklehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2012 at 10:03
hey mtn, i guess what you want to do is make f1 seeds? as these are believed to be the most stable although this is nonsense a strain is only as "stable" as the breeder has made it, locking down desirable traits takes a lot of time(years/decades) which most so called breeders do not do these days imho, backcrossing(bx)is a faster way of cutting the number of variations in a strain since your are breeding it with its self be it an f2-etc the gene pool will be capped so all the desired traits will be expressed more often, selfing(s1) with sts is another quick way of stabilizing a strain and also make fem seed but as with backcrossing you'll need to find a prime example of the strain first and keep it as a mother & treat a healthy cutting with the sts to reverse it to a male then pollinate another clone of the same plant,
its far to early to go in to detail as its before coffee o clock but there are lots of resources on breeding(books & interweb) it would be a great idea to read all you can about breeding/genetics of plants before you start out on your adventure, hope this helps

oh you could always keep a desirable mother and only plant out clones hay presto every plant will be the same for a long long time.
mtn grown View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote mtn grown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2012 at 01:41
thank you for the info sicklehand.i am thinking of crossing my best f2 back on the closest one from my new pack of beans.i made f2 seeds from the original beans 6 yrs ago for od grows guerilla style.the f3 seeds i made last year were not as vigorous or uniform as i would like hence my interest in backcrossing.i am trying to keep the generation count low to stay as close to the f1 as possible. hope i am on the right track .if you have any recommendations on good reads i would be thankful.
 Post Reply Post Reply