early life

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
obsessive View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Online Status: Offline
  Quote obsessive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: early life
    Posted: 09 July 2012 at 21:56
I would welcome a discussion about the early stages. I am wanting to co-ordinate harvest and early veg at low cost. I have a main tent that holds four plants under a 600 HPS dual spectrum Sunmaster light. I have a smaller tent for seedlings with a 150 W fluorescent. My thinking is germinate 3 weeks before harvest and place the seedlings immediately under the fluorescent on 18/6 cycle then keep them there until I harvest and transfer the fresh crop at that point into the main tent under the 600 HPS for a further 1 or 2 weeks before going 12/12. Does anyone have any comments.  Oh i am growing in soil.  I am interested in doing this to maximize the number of harvests at lowest cost. The 150 watt fluorescent will have a 1/4 of the cost of the 600 watt light. I am not sure what effect this light regime will have on plant development and whether i should have the seedlings on 24 light cycle or whether a move from 24 to 18 to 12 would have a detrimental effect. I would welcome comments
mellow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2012 at 23:42
Sounds great,

Personally for 4 plants I would use a 250 CFL, rather than a 125, cause you can veg fine once they are in there final pots.

Last couple of goes I've been doing 24hrs for veg, I've now gone back to 18/6 and mt seedlings are coming on real nice, so IMO, I like 18/6, well i tell a lie, it's more like 20/4.
1966 View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote 1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2012 at 13:40
Hello Obsesive.
I did basically what you discribe [2 weeks 18/6 under 600 hps] before i went to 12/12 and the plants seemed to really like it plus i think it is less of a shock to them to go into flower.
But the fact it is my first grow if i were you i would pay more attention to the more experienced growers responses.
Good luck with the grow and have a good day.
Live and let live
mellow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2012 at 14:06
Oh sorry, yeah whack em under the HPS for a week first if you like. It might work out for the best with the 125CFL, I've never used one so not sure how big they veg plants?

Proteus View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Proteus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2012 at 21:24
125w is fairly desperate. You can veg under it just about, 250w would be a major improvement, especially if you want reasonable stems bud sites. I do something similar using 150w but i like give the small plants a bit of time under a 400wMH before changing light cycle (switchable ballast, v handy) There is no reason you cant veg for 2 weeks under 600wHPS, you might just get a little stretch depending on your bulb but its no biggy.
obsessive View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote obsessive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2012 at 14:39
i did grow under 600 hps from seedling and reached the max height but got some stretch. Thought i would just use the 125 up close and personal for 3 weeks first but i take the point about 250 but i am going to see how i get on under the 125 i can always switch them after 1 or 2 weeks if they dont respond. I was thinking that i would keep a mother under a 250 then place the cuttings under a 125 then move up to the 600. I am trying to develop a low cost continuous cycle that will give me a harvest every 8 weeks. My present crop is doing well and whatever the leaf shape lol i can confirm that the Sensi White label Super skunk is a prodigious baby. Not much smell yet.That will come 
mellow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2012 at 14:49
if you're just planing to do the first couple of weeks, then it should be fine? Just keep the light close to the seedlings.
1966 View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote 1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2012 at 15:09
Obsessive i'm growing the white label super skunk at the moment and having knocked the shit out of them since day one I'm now day 35 of 12/12 and they've managed to handle all my short comings.
Very hardy plants and look as though they might give me a nice bit of bud if i don't have any mishaps between now and harvest.
The stink will come as mine stink and if i brush against them i have to wash my arms a few times to get rid of it before i go out into the real world.
Have a good weekend.
Live and let live
obsessive View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote obsessive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2012 at 15:20
I have a rhino filter and 34 days under 12/12 I switched them after 4 weeks and they took a week to flower after that so I am approaching critical mass...expect it any day soon. How many plants and under what light regime are yours. I have had 4 under 600 watt HPS in 2.4 sq metres. I actuallly used miracle grow soil and had to add some cal mag but otherwise no problems.  This was my first grow. I am wanting to take some cuttings next time and grow a mother. Hence my interest in early life. I have a small tent for the cuttings that i intend to take at about week three on next grow and place them under 125 CFl and keep them under 24 hours until i decide which plant to pick. I am trying to keep costs down. Any ideas?
obsessive View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote obsessive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2012 at 15:39
Proteus.
You maybe giving me good advice. I am not sure whether I explained the plan Please comment on this
Four seedlings up close under 125 for first 2 to 3 weeks of life then move to 600 for following 2 weeks on 18/6 then remainder on 12/12 to 4 on 18/6. My last grow started near window for one week and i will not get natural light in Autumn so i thought I need to reproduce thesoil  breakout in a less harsh light. Once i get 5 leaf formation then move them from the CFL to HPS. I want to grow throughout the year.

I also want to grow a mother from cloning the best of the next 4 so I also need to take a cutting at the end of the second week under 600 I would take a cutting and transfer that to a third tent under 250 CFL on 24 hours then switch the main tent to 12/12. I will then be able to take cuttings from the mother in the 250 tent and transfer them to the 125 whenever I wish to replenish the flowering tent. This will give me a continuous production every 6-8 weeks. I intend to place the mother in a different room as i will need to clean down the flowering tent after each harvest.
1966 View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote 1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2012 at 16:24
Obsessive there is nothing wrong with that plan but i would not flip to 12/12 immediately after taking clones as they may suffer a bit of shock from the cut and also i would advise you to take several clones from each plant just in case the single one does not root.i would also veg them a little longer under the CFL before going under the HPS.
Maybe a more experianced grower than myself can chirp in and give better advice.
Have a good weekend.
Live and let live
mellow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2012 at 16:46
Hey,

@KPH, I don't think he's gonna flip straight away, just once they are of size?

@Obsesive. I think your time are a little erroneous. If you take cutting from the mum, they will take say x amount of days/weeks to root.

You;ll veg them, then you'll put them under the HPS after 2 weeks.

You'll then let them veg under the hps till they are of size, you say 2-3 weeks.

Then you'll flip the light, they will take a few days/weeks to flower, then you'll wait 8 weeks till crop.

So Forgetting the mum, cause shes in her own cylce, I make it you'll get a crop every 12 weeks min.(cause you are only saving the 2 weeks they are under the 125)

I would for get doing three rooms, don't use a 125 and 250 get a 400MH and have one veg room, the 400 will give you enough light for a mum and to veg the others till they are ready for the flip, this way you'll have a crop every 8-10 weeks, unless you have a supper fast finishing plant.
Proteus View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Proteus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2012 at 18:15
Obsesive, as i said your plan looks fine to me. I know why your thinking about 3 tents and if you want a "factory" with a continuous output you are going to have to have seperate mothers tent aswell as a veg and flower tents. However.... 3 tents, its your risk to take but i wont advise you to do it because i would hate to see you get in trouble. Having said that, a very small mother/clone tent 125w cfl (DR80) - vegative tent 250/400MH (sometihng shorter and wider) and a larger flowering tent with 600w will give you what your after. GL :)

obsessive View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote obsessive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2012 at 22:31
mmm. I would hate to get into trouble. I appreciate all the advice. Once up and running i reckon i would be maintaining clones in stasis at little cost in KW hours under a single 125 CFL.  i could add another 125 for a week or 2 when required. An established mother surely could be reverted to a 125 once established with enough nodes. Flowering at 600 watts would definitely work but i could get away with  a 400 if the flowering  tent  is one sq metre. If it works at 400 then the cost is no more than a single 600. 2 125's on constant is equal to 4 60 watt bulbs. This is the minimum constant cost.  It is still less than wacking them under 600 on 18/6 from seedling. Have i got the time wrong. Cuttings taken from the mother with 2 weeks to establish root growth and further 4 weeks of veg is only 6 weeks. I am still allowing 8 weeks for flowering so the time surely works out OK (help?) Even if i only flower one at a time i have a plant every 8 weeks with minimal smell which minimizes the major risk in an urban environment. My babe has a regular prescription for her depression without having to buy on the street. 
1966 View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote 1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2012 at 22:42
I was planning on doing a similar set-up to yours with three grow spaces and my plan was one area for the mother and clones.a veg area and a flower area.
But in the veg area two weeks before the flowering plants were done put the veg area into 12/12 so giving them a head start into flowering and a quicker harvest turnover time.
Any thoughts on that idea guys?
All have a good evening.
Live and let live
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>