Feminized Skunk #1 Tropical Country!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
acesxx View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote acesxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feminized Skunk #1 Tropical Country!
    Posted: 06 June 2012 at 19:35
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum and I have 2 beautiful ladies growing in my apartment terrace. We live in central america and we have sun all year long, we are about to start the rainy season but there is still a lot of sun in the morning and just a few rains in the late afternoon (3pm). Our sun hours are from ~5,6am to 6pm all year long with a variation of a few minutes.

I went to Amsterdam last January and bought a pack of 10 feminized Skunk #1 seeds. I started with 2 plants in late February, one of the things about these plants is that I don't want to stress the plants at all no matter if they yield less that they should, so they were put on their current/only pots from the seed (no germination, no transplantation, no cuts, no nothing =]). I used a high nutrient soil, and every 3 weeks I feed them with 10-30-10 fertilizer an I'm going to switch to a flowering fertilizer in the next weeks. I also use a garlic-based liquid to keep the bugs away.

About my babies one of them is showing a lot of hairs in her nodes, the other one is a little behind but it's starting to show them also. I found the plants very healthy, there's also a lot of wind here so I think that helped the plants to grow stronger.

I want to create this diary to share pics of the plants with you and also if I have any trouble to have you people to advise me as this is the very first time I have marijuana plants!! :D

We also have strawberry plants!
alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 21:51
Lovely plants, great job! Good luck for rest of the season.
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds"
organicgrow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote organicgrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 22:35
Hi,
First of all, great job, your plants are beautiful.

One comment: It is my understanding that high P fertilizers generally have special uses. e.g. as starters for seedlings; or sometimes they are applied to combat stress and also employed  during the transition from the vegetative to the reproductive phases.

Therefore I would suggest a more balanced fertilizer (20-20-20 for example) for the duration of the vegetative phase. The excess Phosphorous may accumulate in the soil and come back to haunt you later on.

That is unless you have a reason for doing so, and if so, then by all means continue %3cmile

Best of luck in grow

OrganicGrow
obsessive View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote obsessive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 00:21
beautiful plants I will share my photos soon. I dont want to move them at the moment. 
acesxx View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote acesxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2012 at 05:38
Hello everyone,

Thanks for your nice feedback!! I really appreciate it!

Originally posted by organicgrow

...Therefore I would suggest a more balanced fertilizer (20-20-20 for example) for the duration of the vegetative phase...

Thank you for that advice!!! I will buy the fertilizer this week and apply it on the weekend... Just a quick question, should I use it for the rest of the process or should I change it when the plants are in the flowering phase?

Are there any changes that I have to do in the flowering period? I'm kind of confused in this matter, because the plants are outside, should I leave them outside the whole process? should I take any extra care with the plants/fertilizer/rain/sun hours/etc??

It has been a week or so since I posted the last pictures so there's not a big difference in them except for more yellow-colored leaves in the newest nodes (this is normal right?), but here they are:

Have a nice week! :D
organicgrow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote organicgrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2012 at 15:40
Again, lovely looking plants.

Originally posted by acesxx

should I use it for the rest of the process or should I change it when the plants are in the flowering phase?

Compared to vegetating plants, flowering plants need less N and more P and K; therefore, you will need to change your fertilizer when flowering starts. (Examples for bloom fertilizers would be 6-12-36, 12-12-36, 15-5-30.) The exact blend to use will depend on many factors. (soil type, environmental factors, cultural practices, availability etc) But a wide range of bloom fertilizers should work fine. Your local supplier will have better advice for you on which particular blend to choose.

Are there any changes that I have to do in the flowering period? I'm kind of confused in this matter, because the plants are outside, should I leave them outside the whole process? should I take any extra care with the plants/fertilizer/rain/sun hours/etc??

I'm not sure about how Indica dominant hybrids behave in tropical areas without much change in the photo-period; maybe others would like to chip in here. My best guess would be that they will bloom shortly after they reach sexual maturity. Which judging from the look of your plants will be in a few weeks.

I don't think you will need to manipulate the photo-period. But I could be wrong.

I think you can keep them outside for the duration of the grow without any problems. These plants are much tougher than they appear to be. It's been my experience that outdoor grown weed that's been exposed to elements tastes different from the same weed grown indoors. But I haven't noticed a difference in potency.

One point about rain and humidity: The density of plant material will increase considerably during bloom. That, combined with rains and tropical humidity puts your plants at risk of fungal infections e.g. bud rot, so IMO it would be wise to keep an eye on that.

The plants generally need less fertilizer during bloom, so keep that in mind when fertilizing; more fertilizer does not necessarily mean better yields.

Also heavy yielding plants may need some sort of structural support for their heavy branches during bloom.

It has been a week or so since I posted the last pictures so there's not a big difference in them except for more yellow-colored leaves in the newest nodes (this is normal right?), but here they are:

AFAIK that kind of yellowing is normal. I think it has to do with differences in nutrient mobility rates in plant tissue and also with soil's fertility. It should go away as leaves grow larger. However, if the yellowing progressively spreads to lower leaves then you will have to do something about it.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor

OG
coverking View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote coverking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2012 at 16:38
like OG, says the yellowing seams to hit most outdoor plants in those areas i wouldent worry unless as stated it spreads. nice looking green plants your going to have bumper yields
Growing Weed is like a Game of Chess! You must think before you move!
acesxx View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote acesxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2012 at 01:31
Hi everyone,

The plants are a lot bigger! they are around 1.5 meters tall each one :) they have a lot of branches and now are showing hairs on the nodes (just a couple per node because the blooming hasn't started yet).

I want to share pictures with you and also wanted to ask: are the plants going to grow more in the floration period? if so, how much more can they grow? Im a little concerned about the pots size, because they look a little small for the plants but im not sure if this is a big problem.. any advice will be appreciated :)

Also, do anyone of you have experience with the yielding of the Skunk #1 in similar conditions as these plants, in an average how much grams can I get from the plants?

We have a intruder with the strawberries XD
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2012 at 12:53
I can't speculate on the yield, but it is quite likely that these Skunk #1 will continue to gain height for about half of their flowering period.

If given lots of space for their roots (20-40lt pot, or straight in the ground), they would probably gain 50-75% of their vegetated height. Keeping them in the current pots should help to stop them gaining so much height, but may have negative effects on yield too.

The current pots are somewhat too small for the plants now.

Whether to change them for bigger pots is debatable. I'd probably double the size of the pots and live with the height gain (bending or snapping main stems if height became a problem) in order to maximise yield.

If keeping height down is the main priority, these plants could be kept in their current pots. To make sure they remain healthy and flower well, it might be necessary to use a soluble (hydro style) flowering nutrient in the second half of flowering, as the root system will be consuming available nutrient quickly.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
acesxx View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote acesxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2012 at 04:17
Hi everyone,

I have very good news! Both plants started to show bud formation since last week (~1st July). Also a lot of stems have turned purple, nice! (Check the pictures below). I can see a loooot of buds growing in the plants, they look very cool!! :D

I feed the plants with a 10-30-20 fertilizer diluted in water about 2.5 weeks ago and every week since then. I also added some worm-compost that I found on a local shop, both things seem to suit the plants very well! :D

About the pots size I choose to keep them in the current pots to avoid stressing the plants because of the transplantation... I will use bigger pots for a future grow ;)

One thing about keeping the plants in the current pots is they need a LOT of water (about ~500ml twice a day), it seems that one of the plants (Lucy) takes a lot more water than the other (Jane), sometimes I just have to water Jane once a day. But if i don't water Lucy very often she starts to drop the stems and leaves and the whole plant look weak (this only happened a couple of times, since I realized that she needs lots of water)

OK, a couple of questions:

*How often do I have to feed the plants with the fertilizer? I know that more fertilizer doesn't mean bigger yields, but I really want to be sure that I'm not over/under-fertilizing the plants (please check the next question).

*Also I have noticed a lot of fan leaves turning yellow since I applied the fertilizer to them a couple of weeks ago, and for what I have read this means that maybe I'm over-fertilizing the plants and they are sending all the excess of nutrients to these leaves, as the rest of the plants look very healthy and green :)... but I might be wrong, it could be because of the floration period and the bud formation... or both... I just don't know =S ... you are the people with the experience, please check the pictures below and give me your opinion...

*At this point how many weeks do I normally have to wait until harvest? The rainy season has started here, and I'm a little worried if this can affect the plants. I still have a lot of sun in the mornings but it will rain more in the following months.

Also I know that the flowering period of the Skunk #1 is normally 45-50 days (according to the sensiseeds webpage) but I know that's from the day you put the plants into 12/12 but IDK how that behaves in outdoors... One thing that I can say is that I have noticed changes day to day, every day I see a lot more white hairs in the mini-buds. :D

Well that's all for now, please check the pictures.
Any advice will be VERY appreciated.

Have a great day you all! ;)

Jane!

Lucy!

Mini-Buds!!

Purple Stems

Some artistic pics XD

PLEASE HELP! Yellow fan leaves!

See you soon!
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2012 at 12:32
Nice to see the buds coming in!
acesxx View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote acesxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2012 at 17:33
thank you! will share more pictures in the next days, but im still a little worried about the yellow leaves :S
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2012 at 17:54
The yellowing seems to be mostly confined to the lowest, oldest leaves, which is quite normal.

if the upper part of the plants starts to go pale green or yellow, they usually need some extra nitrogen.
acesxx View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote acesxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2012 at 18:31
ok great! Will have an eye on that, thanks.

Just taken :)
acesxx View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote acesxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2012 at 03:21
Hi everyone!

It has been a long time since my last update. After almost 8 of flowering I decided to trim the inner branches and buds off the plants, to let the main colas to grow and develop for one or two weeks more.

When we cut the inner branches they had a loooot of popcorn buds, some bigger than others.... they weighted 750grs after trimming the small leaves and leaving only the bud... today they are a lot more dry and they weighted about 500grs, and they still have a couple of days more to dry, so I'm expecting about 300grms only from popcorn buds from the inner side of the plant.

They main colas are a lot more heavy and dense, they have a week or so to grow more, so Im expecting for them to be even more dense and thick.

This is just a quick update, I will post more photos in the following days :)

ENJOY!
 Post Reply Post Reply