Sara's Garden for 2012/2013/2014.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 07:44
Originally posted by organicgrow

... here's a couple of thoughts for you to consider, if you haven't already.

I had considered these points prior to using the propagator and took steps to prevent them from becoming problems.

The heated propagator may have overly increased root zone temperature and that is believed to increase activity for some types of harmful root zone fungi and also inhibit some of the beneficials.

If the prop box was sitting on a solid surface it is conceivable that the bottom of the box could overheat as the box doesn't have a thermostat. This is why my prop box is raised off the bench, most of the underside of the box is exposed to the air and the fan directs a stream of air under (as well as over) the box.

To keep a check of temperatures I have a bulb thermometer measuring the temperature of the bottom of the box and another measuring the air temperature in the seedling zone. The two temperatures remain within 1-2C of each other.

There is no overheating. The seedlings and their grow medium are at ideal temperatures (21-23C)

The wet capillary matting may have kept a medium of already high retention and capillarity overly moist and therefore, rendered the water in the medium somewhat stagnant;

The pots are not in contact with the capillary matting... now that would be a real noob mistake.  The seedlings are in pots that sit in tray on top of the matting, there is about 5mm between the matting and the medium. The purpose of the capillary mat is to diffuse the heat evenly across the bottom of the box and raise the humidity.

Raising the humidity is important because the room housing the grow also houses a lot of books and other paper stuff that suck the moisture from the air.

the root system and foliage were not sufficiently extensive for pot size.

lol How small do you want me to go? The pots only hold around 100ml of medium as it is.

I'll get some pictures to illustrate later.
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 09:20
illustrations...

Air space under the box prevents overheating.

The plants are not in direct contact with the capillary mat but the bulb of the thermometer is in order to measure the temperature beneath the seedling trays.

okay, moist would have been a better description of the mat... the mat is wet but there isn't any water sloshing about.

Air temperature and humidity measured inside the seedling tray

The pots are about as small as I can buy without resorting to a punnet.

Might not be a lot on top... but the little pot is full of roots at 2 and a half weeks.

Excuse the blurry shots, would have retaken a couple of them but the dodgy camera is playing up.

organicgrow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote organicgrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 12:43
Originally posted by sarah louise

The pots are not in contact with the capillary matting... now that would be a real noob mistake.  The seedlings are in pots that sit in tray on top of the matting, there is about 5mm between the matting and the medium. The purpose of the capillary mat is to diffuse the heat evenly across the bottom of the box and raise the humidity.

Raising the humidity is important because the room housing the grow also houses a lot of books and other paper stuff that suck the moisture from the air. 

I assumed that the capillary matting was there for water delivery to the pots. They are sometimes used like that AFAIK. My case was based on that assumption.

How dry will it get in there without that mat?

lol How small do you want me to go? The pots only hold around 100ml of medium as it is. 

The pot size is of course perfectly fine. They did look a bit larger in the first pic and my assumption on water delivery was wrong.

So what am I missing then? There is perfect temperature/humidity assuming the measuring instruments are accurate; the medium is well aerated; there is good root formation; I assume lighting is not excessive; ventilation is fine; I assume the medium is clean; pH and EC are fine...why does the larger seedling look a bit limp in both pictures? It looks fine but it should be thriving in that environment. %3confused

BTW What type of systemic fungicide do you have in mind?
SuperDuper View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote SuperDuper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 13:05
4 mee she saing give mee more root space m8%3cug i see on this picture that color of roots is a bit yellow shold bee white meaby u check the root system to meany times end the roost pruning transplant to 1L pot
breizh ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote breizh ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 13:50
hi sarah! hope all is well ! and the tobacco ? ;)
im agree with superduper, isn't you? THE BEST FROM HERE i will try maybe a guerilla outdoor this year;but not sure.
in my new area there lots of fields with .....some weed plants... then i haven't no regret to move here ! ( i hate the robbers and im not !)
cheers ! and as usual best green vibe from the atlantic coast !
Rémi Gaillard...take a look !
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 13:58
Originally posted by organicgrow

So what am I missing then?

Most likely nothing. I lost one seedling, the Nepalese Kush, to damping off. I knew when the seedling began looking like this picture.

That's 'stem pinch'. I excavated the seedling to check the root and found it rotting. This is the usual scenario with 'damping off'.  I also have one seedling that doesn't appear to be growing... this is usually a root problem but I haven't looked yet as I wanted to give the seedling as long as possible to come to grips with growing.

I only have problems during the winter so the specific fungi involved are those that like the cold rather than those that like the warmth. It's not just weed either, I've lost lettuce and spinach seedlings to damping off during previous winters.  This year it's only two seedlings, none of the later planted seedlings are showing any signs.

There is perfect temperature/humidity assuming the measuring instruments are accurate; the medium is well aerated; there is good root formation; I assume lighting is not excessive; ventilation is fine; I assume the medium is clean; pH and EC are fine...

All safe assumptions. When the first seedlings were planted I had mixed new medium, the skunkX (larger seedling) was also planted in this mix. Before planting the later seedlings I dumped the coco mix out into a garden bed, cleaned everything and made a new mix up... just in case it was in the medium.

My pots get soaked in chlorine bleach after use and are stored clean inside the house. Before use, I spray them with isopropyl alcohol and wipe them dry with clean paper towel.

It isn't sterile, of course, but it's as close to get to asepsis as I can get.

why does the larger seedling look a bit limp in both pictures? It looks fine but it should be thriving in that environment. %3c3confused

The first seedlings were under a cfl lamp with a slightly different spectrum, but once the second lot of seedlings  began to emerge there wasn't enough light. If you look back at the seedling picture you might see that a couple of them have stretched a bit... these were the first seedlings to emerge that were too far away from the light.

The larger seedling haslooked a bit droopy since the change, it is ready to pot up, so I will move it back to 5500K and see if that perks it up a bit.

BTW What type of systemic fungicide do you have in mind?
I was only thinking of a fungicide if the damping off continued. If it did, then I would be looking for something to pretreat the coco mixture as I don't want to be spraying small seedlings.

Anyway, it all looks okay for the moment. One pot has no seed... and one pot had two (doh). The smaller of the 2 seedlings was dumped and there is one seedling slow to emerge... it was coming through root first and needed repositioning... maybe it will work and maybe it wont. Even without it I have enough plants.

Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 14:20
Originally posted by Melvan

That's funny OG, I was just going to put it simply as too wet and too warm, lol.

I've got some Afghani F2s I made a few years back, maybe I should pop a few here and grow along with you Sarah, lol. Green mojo to your grow.

Yeah, why not? Mine don't have a Sensi pedigree but I'm still keen to see if I come up with anything similar to the one I pollinated.
Thanks for the extra green mojo, it comes in handy during the winter...

Originally posted by SuperDuper

4 mee she saing give mee more root space m8%3c3cug i see on this picture that color of roots is a bit yellow shold bee white meaby u check the root system to meany times end the roost pruning transplant to 1L pot

Yes it needs potting up, has only been checked twice... there is a bit of staining from seaweed extract. It is a blurry pic, I can understand you seeing them as yellow.

Originally posted by breizh ganja

hi sarah! hope all is well ! and the tobacco ? ;)
im agree with superduper, isn't you? THE BEST FROM HERE i will try maybe a guerilla outdoor this year;but not sure.
in my new area there lots of fields with .....some weed plants... then i haven't no regret to move here ! ( i hate the robbers and im not !)
cheers ! and as usual best green vibe from the atlantic coast !

Hi BG, how are you? Yes I agree the seedling needs potting up!

I don't smoke tobacco on it's own anymore, but sometimes I will get some to mix in a joint (sometimes the weed is too strong). I buy one packet of 20 per month. I'm using a pipe more so I can smoke straight weed, but I do like a joint.

I didn't know that you had moved. I hope it has been a move for the better. How's you health holding up old friend?
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote organicgrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 14:36
Well the picture breaks my heart. It used to be such a healthy seedling before it fell victim to damp-off; I hate when that happens %3cnhappy

I think Phosphorous Acid based systemics should be effective as root-drench fungicides.

This may be worth looking into as well: It is thought that a foliar application, or a root drench with an Aspirin solution (Salicylic Acid) can help elicit a SAR response. (Systemic Acquired Resistance) Apparently there are some trade-offs involved but the defensive response is believed to be effective against a range of problems including fungi.
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 14:52
Interesting, I know an older Italian veggie gardener who waters in her tomato plants with an Aspirin solution.

edit... had a bit of a read SAR and endogenous salycylic (SA)... but can't find anything that links adding salycylic acid to the soil with a rise in endogenous SA (which is related to SAR and Pathogenesis-related proteins).

I'll read further though...

Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote organicgrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 16:28
Check these two abstracts out:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/k2182003n348814q/
https://www.sciencemag.org/content/250/4983/1002.abstract

One states that seed treatment and soil drench of ASA will lead to increased stress tolerance; although fungus resistance is not mentioned but I think it's the same mechanism.

The other states that exogenous SA will in fact induce PR genes and resistance.
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 18:01
Thanks, I'll check when I have time.
assinomen View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote assinomen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2012 at 00:06
hello sarah
i am sure you know about the additive free tobacco,indian spirit/cigs and rolling tobbaco.
just saying that drum have now brought out an additive free tobbacco at same prices as "normal tobbaco"so it seems maybe the companys are aware we are aware.
ifound out they put ammonia in cigarettes to "freebase the nicotine" so the user gets a quicker nicotine rush.
smoking tobbaco is never going to be healthy but i think its better without all the chemicals.
hope your grow go,s well,im sure it will.
T is for truth,for truth is strange,stranger than fiction..lord byron
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2012 at 11:27
Hi Assinomen, yes I have heard about additive free and even organically grown tobacco... thing is, I would rather be smoking no tobacco at all.

There is a herbal blend (nicotine free) called Farmer's Honey Rose. It is nice to roll joints with but I have trouble buying it locally which is why I still use tobacco occasionally.

I've potted up the SkunkX into 500ml and sat it under 96W of 5500K CFL.... still looks a bit droopy.
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 02:34
Thought I better update, was a way for nearly a week and the seedlings had to look after themselves. I potted up 3 larger seedlings (2 affies and 1PK) and the skunkX into 1l pots before leaving... the others didn't look like they would stand handling so I soaked them and left them in the seedling pots.

When I got home the 4 potted up seedlings looked great but a couple of the small potted PK's had failed and strangely enough... the tiny little Jack Flash#5 appears to be rallying and is growing a second set of leaves. So glad I didn't turf it as it may do something yet.

Pics when I pull my finger out... happy growing everyone. %3chumbs%20Up

Hash Driveway View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Hash Driveway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2012 at 22:10
Well that sounds better.

Please oh lord let the JF live. %3co%20high
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>