Sara's Garden for 2012/2013/2014.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sara's Garden for 2012/2013/2014.
    Posted: 04 June 2012 at 13:32
About time I put a bit of a journal together... the old brain has trouble remembering from one day to the next.

I had grand plans for Sensi's Jack Flash#5 and the Flying Dutchmen's Nepal Kush... lol root tip on the kush rotted in the coco and the JF that cracked has barely grown in the last 3 weeks...

So I had a search through the seed stash and found a couple of other things to play with...

4 Power Kush fems (older freebies)

1 Skunk cross (from accidental pollination at the outdoor plot, was testing germination and dropped one in a pot to test the growth against the JF... it's growing fine so it's staying until it does anything funky)

5 or 6 afghani f2's... the mother (Eloise) I kept for a couple of seasons as clones... thought I'd see what comes out of the few seed I have saved... miss the sweet and creamy hash taste of my old Ellie.

It would be nice to get at least one male out of the affies, but I wont cry if it turns out to be an all fem grow.

Currently the seedlings are sitting in a heated propagating box (lid off) under 2x20w t4 mini fluoros in my clone cupboard (with small fan). Temp in the cupboard is 21C and the rh sits on 60%.

That's about it for now... yeah the bigger one (rear right) is the skunkX and the one rear most, to the left is the JF... still sitting there but not doing much, cotyledons beginning to yellow.

Now they just have to hurry up and grow. %3c3c3cool

What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
coverking View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote coverking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 15:25
nice ill be watching sarah
Growing Weed is like a Game of Chess! You must think before you move!
organicgrow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote organicgrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 16:56
good luck sarah, I wish you a bountiful harvest :)
I'm not sure what it is I'm seeing, but is the shell still remaining the on the JF seedling?
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 18:20
Thanks CK and OG, hope it turns out to be worth watching... and no that's not a shell, lol, it's an end on view of a yellowing cotyledon.

coverking View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote coverking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 18:25
im sure things will be booming in a week or two
coverking View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote coverking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 18:27
nice propagator by the way
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2012 at 05:14
Ta CK, bought it at the beginning of last summer so I haven't really had a chance to use it yet. Surely does the job of keeping them warm and a sheet of wet capillary mat in the bottom of the tray keeps the humidity perfect.
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote organicgrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2012 at 11:53
Originally posted by sarah louise

Thanks CK and OG, hope it turns out to be worth watching... and no that's not a shell, lol, it's an end on view of a yellowing cotyledon.

lol you must forgive my boldness; it did kind of look like a shell from this angle. %3cmbarrass%3cd

Well at least it's still alive. And I hope it will start growing soon. I was considering JF for my next purchase. So I'm interested to watch how one performs.

One question: do you fertilize your seedling medium? or do you keep it relatively inert? And why? As I'm sure you know there's some disagreement on that matter. I'm trying to gather as much learned opinions as I can to improve my technique.

Cheers

OG
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2012 at 13:11
No worries Og, I thought it was a bit funny.

I wouldn't judge Jack Flash#5 from this seedling. Considering I have had a problem with seed from two different strains, I think the problem is more likely environmental than anything to do with the seeds.

In the past I have had some trouble getting seed away during winter (damping off) but I thought the new propagator would help... if any more crap out, I'll go get a systemic fungicide and treat from the beginning.

The medium is coco and perlite and before the seed goes in, the medium has been treated with a low strength fertiliser (ec 0.4) and liquid rooting hormone. I water with the same strength nutrient solution (ec 0.4, pH 5.8) until the second or third set of true leaves emerge and then increase the strength slowly.

Hash Driveway View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Hash Driveway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2012 at 22:07
I see your bad luck has started even before I've wished you good luck. Good luck! and I hope you can get the JF#5 going for a comparison.

Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote organicgrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 01:18
hey sarah

Thanks for the info. That's about the same technique I employ . The only difference being in that I germinate in peat moss ; then I move to coco at first re-pot. Peat moss has been the least troublesome germination medium for me.

I agree; top quality seeds like these rarely produce weak seedlings if the conditions are right. Therefore, my bet would be on environmental factors as well; but IMHO the imbalanced fungal activity is not the cause of the problem but the effect of an underlying one.

So, in the spirit of brainstorming, here's a couple of thoughts for you to consider, if you haven't already.

IMHO either the capillary matting or the heated propagator, or both may have been working against you:

The heated propagator may have overly increased root zone temperature and that is believed to increase activity for some types of harmful root zone fungi and also inhibit some of the beneficials.

The wet capillary matting may have kept a medium of already high retention and capillarity overly moist and therefore, rendered the water in the medium somewhat stagnant; especially where there had been relatively low atmospheric demand (21C, 60%, small fan) and when the root system and foliage were not sufficiently extensive for pot size.

Or I'm just too high and ranting again %3c3c3cig%3c3c3c
Melvan View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Melvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 18:25
That's funny OG, I was just going to put it simply as too wet and too warm, lol.

I've got some Afghani F2s I made a few years back, maybe I should pop a few here and grow along with you Sarah, lol. Green mojo to your grow.
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote organicgrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 21:32
Originally posted by Melvan

That's funny OG, I was just going to put it simply as too wet and too warm, lol.

Haha, I'm sure that would've been enough for sarah to see your point.

However, being the new guy, I do not yet feel confident enough in my credibility to be that concise; especially with senior members.  So I tried to make my case the best I could %3cig%20smile

Cheers
assinomen View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote assinomen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 22:31
Originally posted by organicgrow

Originally posted by sarah louise

lol you must forgive my boldness; it did kind of look like a shell from this angle. %3cmbarrass%3cd

Well at least it's still alive. And I hope it will start growing soon. I was considering JF for my next purchase. So I'm interested to watch how one performs.

One question: do you fertilize your seedling medium? or do you keep it relatively inert? And why? As I'm sure you know there's some disagreement on that matter. I'm trying to gather as much learned opinions as I can to improve my technique.

Cheers

OG

hi organic i used jiffy plugs,this time 100% success rate only that i was lazy and put the seeds in at random,rather than the flat bit at the bottom.like you know the seed opens like a sea clam so usualy i never germinate on tissue ,i just put the seed in the medium.usualy they are big enough to see which way round to put them,but these last were tiny and my eyesight is not as good.(jiffy plugs are organic and soak and they swell).your familiar with how the tap root comes out up first then around and down .the stalk pulls out the embryonic leaves,and the soil helps by gripping the seed.then it pops out the jiffy plug(they have some nutrients in,plenty to start the seed,no additive,s necessary)then when the tap show at the bottom of the jiffy,transplant to medium of choice(i always prior used rockwool,with good results,but with the jiffs i need not feed.
because some of my seeds were wrongly posistioned,i had to use magnifying glass and tweezers to remove seed shell.and reposistion the naked white embryos.they all lived.. .but have a try with a jiffy plug or two about 10/15 pence (uk) each..i keep the temp down and humid low and never had any fungal problems,may take them a little longer to germinate.but what you said about the fungii,now makes sense.its good to have a clear explanation(sort of boffin like,no offense!)i like the scientific explanations..
T is for truth,for truth is strange,stranger than fiction..lord byron
Jug Head View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote Jug Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 22:57
Good luck Sara! I know what you mean about forgetting stuff!

Jugs
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson -
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>