Super skunk question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jackel View Drop Down
Sensi Novice
Sensi Novice

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super skunk question
    Posted: 11 May 2012 at 09:03
I got some super skunk that's about a month n a half old. From the beginning the leaves look verrry sativa. Really thin blades. I was under the impression that super skunk was an indica. What gives? Did I receive the wrong seeds? Did I happen to get a freak package of some crazy sativa dominant pheno?
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 12:17
The original Skunk #1 has a significant proportion of Sativa - 30-50% according to various sources.

Super Skunk is made from Skunk #1 and a high-potency Afghan strain, so it has more Indica than Skunk #1, but still a significant proportion of Sativa in its background. The overall growth pattern of Super Skunk is Indica-dominant (as is the more Sativa-influenced Skunk#1, for that matter).

Most importantly, the width or leaf blades can give some indication of the heritage of a particular plant, but they're by no means a definite measure, especially in very young plants.

Unhybridised Indicas and Sativas have distinctly different leaves and one could usually distionguish the the two types in the wild. However, since the vast majority of commercial seed-strains on the market are hybrids, both wide and narrow leaves can appear on any plant.

Also, the width of leaf blades can change radically throughout a hybrid plant's life. A seedling may produce classic fat-bladed Indica leaves for the first couple of months in veg, then switch to narrow Sativa-looking blades in flowering, or vice versa.

Finally, a very Sativa-influenced leaf would have extremely narrow blades (a few mm across for young plants), not just slightly thinner than normal.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Jackel View Drop Down
Sensi Novice
Sensi Novice

Quote Jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 15:15

So ur trying to tell me that because of hybridization that the plant can change its leaf structure from indica to sativa and vise versa?
sicklehand View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote sicklehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 15:49
i think what ganja is saying is that plants with a mixed heritage eg Skunks can show some variation in leaf shape,bud structure,plant structure.etc. but still be indica dominant but without a picture it hard to know what your talking about hope this helps.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 16:09
It's not a change, really. Thin and wide bladed leaves are not what define Indica and Sativa. - that's more a matter of height gain, bud structure and cannabinoid ratios.

The width of blades can be a used as a quick (and rough) indicator of a plant's heritage, but hybrid plants can grow both types of leaf, so it's not a very accurate method.

If a plant started with wide blades and an Indica growth pattern, then produced much slimmer leaf blades in flowering, this would not be an indication that it's about to start gaining height like a Sativa.
Jackel View Drop Down
Sensi Novice
Sensi Novice

Quote Jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 06:23
My super skunk is taking a long time to show sex. The leaves are still very thin, which I'm still convinced is a sativa trait. I'm not convinced that what I got was the super skunk I was expecting. I was expecting the really wide leaves that's known as indica traits.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 10:16
As mentioned before, the width of the leaf-blades makes no difference in a hybrid like Super Skunk.

What you were expecting is a bit hard to divine, but what you have is Super Skunk, (always assuming it said 'Super Skunk' on the packet).
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 14:09
Still no photo's? It would be nice to see what you mean, Jackel, by 'very thin'. 
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
coverking View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote coverking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 18:12
super skunks got big leaves thin leaves fat leaves chubby leaves,
hell, shes got leaves for anyones taste but more importantly,
shes got nice smelly buds ..... of various sizes too
Growing Weed is like a Game of Chess! You must think before you move!
Jackel View Drop Down
Sensi Novice
Sensi Novice

Quote Jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2012 at 05:17
Sorry been busy. Here is the pictures. It is pretty to tell that this is sativa dominant.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2012 at 13:57
Perfectly normal Skunk leaves. Skunk leaves can also be about as long, with a bulge near the middle that makes them teardrop-shaped, or they can be somewhat wider along the whole blade. Skunks are, after all, a hybrid of Indica and Sativa.

True Sativa leaf blades are much thinner.

Also, the normal height of the plant and the short internodal gaps clearly demonstrate that this this phenotype is not Sativa-dominant.

Glad we could clear this up.
obsessive View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote obsessive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2012 at 23:37
perhaps the fact that it is outside has also had an effect onleaf shape.I dont know what the temperature is, the amount of light or soil but as it is outside you may not be feeding it to optimum nutrient
obsessive View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote obsessive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2012 at 23:41
i have a friend who has 4 on 12/12 for 4 weeks on 18/6 for 4 previous. 600 watt light how many more weeks before harvest any takers
Jackel View Drop Down
Sensi Novice
Sensi Novice

Quote Jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2012 at 02:12
I'm not really sure how that is tight internodal spacing to you. I can get a pic of my indicas to show you tight internodal spacing.
I can also take a pic of those leaves in comparison to show its sativa dominance.
I feed every watering, about every other day.
Ganja, I don't know if you are the breeder or not, but I'm just not feeling confident in it. Can you show me pics of S.S. in veg, with it's leaves looking like this?
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2012 at 10:16
No Jackel, I've already spent too much time reassuring you, and I'm not going to keep repeating the same things over and over again.

Fortunately, your confidence or lack thereof will have no effect on the development of the plant. Enjoy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>