germination

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PetrolSS View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Online Status: Offline
  Quote PetrolSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2012 at 19:15
you're confused.

by using the paper towels, you can see the SEED crack.
by sowing directly into the soil you wait until it pops out of the soil because of course dirt isn't see through and you don't see the seed crack.

so more time before you know SOMETHING happened when using soil - but the time for the seed cracking is identical.

therefore the "36 - 72" hr quote is based on the seed cracking in either medium
Social revolution in the 1960's US was necessitated and made inevitable by the accelerated convergence of polydimensional conflict within the shift from a rural-urban society, technology, and mobility
ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2012 at 22:19
thx... you confirmed my assumption...
I wanted to verify, for the sake of anyone using soil, that the wait time is Longer than the average of 36-72......

organicgrow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote organicgrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2012 at 07:34
Originally posted by ak50

thx... you confirmed my assumption...
I wanted to verify, for the sake of anyone using soil, that the wait time is Longer than the average of 36-72......

I would say the average wait time until a seed 'cracks' due to moisture is shorter, more like 12-24 hours IME. So I think the 36-72 range given includes the time required for the seedling to emerge from the soil as well.

Recently I did an out-of-medium germination of 16 old, poorly stored bagseeds. I soaked them in water overnight and after around 18 hours all the seeds had finally cracked their casing. Then I sowed them in peat moss and after another 24 hours I started to see seedlings emerging. The last one to break the surface took around 48 hours.

So all in all, I would say the quickest in the bunch took about 42 hours and the slowest one took 66. Both within the published range in here. And let us remember these were poorly stored 3 year-old bastard seeds and not freshly produced and professionally handled high quality seeds that a Sensi customer is likely to receive.

Having said all that, it's not unheard of that a seedling take much longer than 72 hours to emerge. Many factors influence it.

Just my 2 cents.
"I support and oppose many things, but not strongly enough to pick up a pen." - Bender
ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2012 at 00:00
%3cnhappy
Thanks.... so I'm sitting in front of my two stubborn seeds.... its already 125 hrs (and few minutes %3cuch)  I bought these SS seeds only 3 months ago in SensiSeeds Amsterdam, so I assume these are good.

this weekend - if nothing changes - I'll take another two and try the 'out-of-medium' approach....  at least I'll see what's going on.  right now I can only pray :-)

so after moaning a bit.... maybe a few more questions:
* Close the box for better humidity and less oxygen?   or more exygen is importent.
* Direct light?  Sun? or is it only relevant after seedlings appear?     Darkness?

* and after they appear - Do I start immediatly the 18/6 schedule?

Thx.

Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote organicgrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2012 at 23:45

Light becomes important as soon as seedlings emerge from the soil. Intense light can cause the soil to dry up too quickly and also might harm the delicate seedlings. Too little light and the seedlings will stretch in search of it. So try to provide enough light but not too much.

You do not need high humidity, just prevent the soil from drying out by spraying some water on it every once in a while. Unless of course you live in a hot and dry region in which case you might need to make a plastic dome to keep moisture from escaping.

After they appear, you can go ahead and put them under 18/6. Some people say a few days of 24/0 at the beginning limits stretch somewhat but I haven't noticed it myself.

If you're going to try the other approach, do not do it by soaking the seeds in water as I described, do it as it says on the Sensi page. I did what I did for a reason that's irrelevant to your situation.

Don't give up on your seeds yet, most importantly don't disturb the soil trying to find out what is going on. Keep them moist and leave them be for a couple of weeks. They might surprise you.

Best of luck
"I support and oppose many things, but not strongly enough to pick up a pen." - Bender
ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2012 at 02:33
Thanks for the support :-)
14 hrs ago I set up two halfs (water) soaked tampons %3c3cig%3c20smile with two fresh seeds, next to the stubborn Juffys....

And here's what I got  !

As you said - I am reading and following the http://en.sensiseeds.com/best-way-to-germinate-seeds/ step by step... wish I did so initially :-)

I'll keep the two Jiffys for a few more days... but considering these two popped after 14 hrs...  I assume the first two are already messed up  - probably due to being way too wet in the cube. 

Thx again

Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote organicgrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2012 at 06:42
Looking good. Maybe you want to start a grow diary for these babies. This way people can better keep track of your work and help you if needs be

Cheers
obsessive View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote obsessive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2012 at 23:00
place seeds in water for 24 hours. They sink great
Then straight into the grow medium. Little wet jiffy inside soil medium in small tub under 125 cfl close to propagator. 2 days later little SS babies. Increase light after 1 to 2 weeks to 250 then after 3 or 4 weeks into flower tent 18/6 for one week then 12/12 I use 600 HPS

Oh dont add nutrients for first 2 weeks of life
ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 19:08
Thx both....   Looks like we are passed germination issues%3coving%20it

So as Organicgrow suggested I'll continue here... http://forum.sensiseeds.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11127

counting on continious support !!!!!   %3cig%20smile
obsessive View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote obsessive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2012 at 00:29
i have done 8 superskunk fem in last 4 months. I always drop the seed to be planted into a cup of distilled water overnight. To let it absorb a little water. It will sink when shaken. Then its into that little pot in the heated  propagator at gas mark 21c  under 125 cfl. The babies always reach the light whatever way you plant them in the soil. I re pot after a week or so into same medium. They break ground in 48 hours by the way  %3cmoking

I have had one little problem with fem seeds. That is sometimes i get a little seed but thats the hermie for u LOL
johnmatrix View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote johnmatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2012 at 18:47
In my case germination of 5 SSA took about 24 hours. No issues. Toilet paper+tap water :D
jgavones View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote jgavones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2012 at 14:05
ive been using this method for years. take a rockwool clone cube, wet it, cut it in half horizontal and pop your seeds on it. keeps perfect moisture level and just lift top to check seeds.  
jgavones View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote jgavones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2012 at 21:56
I just used the clone cube method, i put down 10 regular super skunk seeds. All 10 were popped in just twenty hours. I love sensi seeds. Super high quality at a great price..
Mr. Diamond View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Mr. Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2012 at 16:09
As I read this I wondered from the very beginning ... did you let the paper towel dry out at all and then rehydrate again? Because this will cause it to not crack. Too much water will make it rot.

I've always used the paper towel/toilet paper method ... sucks pulling toilet paper open ... lol ... paper towels are much better. But ... I get the paper towel wet (soaked) and then I hand squeeze the water out until it's to the point of dampness. Nothing will drip out (unless I hold it up for a minute or so). I squeeze it until it's just wet enough to wear you think if you placed it over your mouth you could breath through it without water POURING into your mouth.

I make a paper towel damp ... usually one from a fast food restaurant I collected while running errands. I'm very frugal. :) Then I put the seeds in spread apart and check once a day ... I feel like even if they are not sprouted ... I'm giving them a little oxygen and light, even if just for a moment. The paper towel is put in a plastic bag and thrown in a drawer in the house and kept at room temperature. I have a VERY high sprout rate at 2-3 days. 10 years ago a drowned a few seeds and let the paper towel dry out and kill the seeds as well.

The reason I choose the paper towel method is to see instantly how the seed is doing. And when you sow a seed ... some seeds get a little confused and end up growing down towards the bottom of the planter. Weird. At $10/seed I want to have control of every part of the process I can. I usually wait till the seed sprouts a centimeter in length and plant with the beginning sprout sticking out of the dirt.

Works for me. :)

Mr. Diamond
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12