germination

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Pallazo View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Pallazo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: germination
    Posted: 05 May 2012 at 19:43
Good day everyone,

i bought 5 feminized super skunk seeds from sensi seed bank.
decided to only germinate one of them since i dont have much room and im afraid of messing all the seeds up ( which might be happening at this moment since the bloody thing wont sprout).

this is my first time growing but i believe im doin everything right (why shouldnt I)

so, I followed sensi's recommended germination method, put the baby in the moist towels and waited.... for 5 days.

perhaps i should mention all of the seeds were green. not dark green, totally green, i dare to say light green. some sites i've read say its not good, others say it doesnt matter. dunno what to think of it really, everyone has their own special way of doing things i guess.

so, my first day the seed was put into the saucer, moist paper and so on.

second day the seed began to darken, it is currently dark brown and looked like it ran a couple miles, all sweaty.

third day the paper began to dry a bit and sprayed it again.

4th day is about the same as the 3rd.

today is about the same as the other 2 days. It doesnt look sweaty, it has a lil tip which formed with the germination, im guessing the sprout would come through there but its still closed.

I'm posting this since I've read that they should usually begin sprouting after 2-3 days. mine isnt doing anything relevant at this point and im a bit concerned..

Am i doing anything wrong? at first i i thought it was a temperature problem so i covered it with a warm towel. It's been sitting in my closet in total darkness for 5 days, only opening the closet door to spray some more water from time to time.

thanks in advance for reading,
Pallazo
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 10:24
Seeds often sprout within the first 24-72hrs, but others can take a week or more in the germination environment and rare examples can even take 2 weeks.
After about 15 days in the germination medium, if seeds still haven't produced their first root, they're probably not going to. We'd still probably discard them in soil, just on the off-chance that some came up anyway, but it's probably safe to assume such seeds are non-viable.

From the description above, it sounds as though seeds/germination medium are being treated correctly. If the seeds are viable, they should germinate in these conditions.

Don't write them off just yet, allow another week or so.

If there really is no movement after 15 days, you should write to info@sensiseeds.com with the above description (and your order details) and they should be able to resolve the issue ASAP.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Melvan View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Melvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 21:43
I never use the paper towel method. Sow your seed directly into the medium you're going to grow in, using small seed starting cups. Sow the seed 1/2 inch down, cover loosely with medium, and let them do their thing.

Seeds don't start in nature in a paper towel, don't know why us pot growers think it's the way to do it for our seed.

But, that's just my personal opinion and this method works out fine for lots of people.

Good luck, I hope they get to popping for you soon.

organicgrow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote organicgrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 09:58
I agree with Melvan; Manipulating those tiny seedlings seems a bit counterintuitive to me. Unless there is a good reason for doing so. And while there are scenarios in which this practice is justifiable, generally I don't think it is necessary.

I sow my seeds directly in the medium for germination and they usually sprout very well.

I use a fine grade seedling mix which is a mixture of white peat and frozen black peat with low nutrient content (EC ~ .4 mS/cm), but this can be done with a variety of mediums.

I pre-wet the medium, sow the seeds about 1cm deep in small cups or a seedling tray and then cover them with clear plastic to stop heat and moisture from escaping and then put the cups somewhere warm that doesn't receive intense light, like on top of a fridge. I monitor them regularly and as soon as they sprout I remove the plastic and move them to a better lit place or put them under CFL's for a few days.

If where you're putting your cups or tray is not adequately lit, make sure to move them as soon as they sprout or they will stretch in search of light and waste their valuable nutrient reserve.

Depending on the size of the container I re-pot them when I feel they are adequately rooted.

I have had seeds from Sensi seeds that sprouted in 36 hours or less. Never more than 72 hours in my experience.

Best of luck in your grow.

OrganicGrow
PetrolSS View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote PetrolSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 10:08
these guys covered the topic completely but i felt i'd add a bit of weight to the credibility of the direct-sow method.

here here! ... language love, s.
Social revolution in the 1960's US was necessitated and made inevitable by the accelerated convergence of polydimensional conflict within the shift from a rural-urban society, technology, and mobility
Pallazo View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Pallazo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 20:02
first off, thanks for all the replies!
second, I would like to know what "sow a seed" means :P I am portuguese and my english may not be the best...

So I'm supposed to put it in soil now? I also got a fixed grow medium from amsterdam, was kind of a grower starter kit and also came with a bunch of seeds for 3 euros so :P

Should I put the seed, sprinkle a bit of medium then water it? or no water at all? Sorry for all the noob questions but im a bit concerned i might have wasted a perfectly good femenized seed :(

thanks in advance,
Pallazo
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote organicgrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 23:12
Sowing means burying your seed in the medium.

Any medium will work with this method. As long as it is not heavily fertilized and its texture is fine and it holds enough water.

I don't think you could start seeds without moisture because it is a major catalyst in the germination process. So yes, you will need to water the cups. The humidity level should be at 100% throughout germination, that is why I told you to cover the cups with clear plastic, to create a mini greenhouse that will both keep the medium warm and prevent the medium from drying up.

After the seeds sprout the humidity needs to be lowered by removing the plastic or your seedlings will be at risk of a fungal infection.

In my opinion it is better to fully saturate the medium with water first and then sow the seed to prevent the water from displacing the seed.

So to avoid any more confusions, here's a step by step guide:

1. Fill a cup with your medium, make sure the cup has at least one hole at the bottom.
2. Water the cup until the medium is fully wet
3. Create a small 1cm deep hole in the middle of the medium
4. Put the seed in the hole
5. Cover the seed with medium
6. Cover the cup with a clear plastic bag and seal it with tape
7. Put the cup somewhere warm and wait for the seedling to sprout
8. When you see the seedling has broken ground, remove the plastic cover.

For more info on what to do next, refer to my previous post.

Best of luck,

OrganicGrow

PS. I assume this is your first grow, so don't worry about a few casualties as they are likely  to happen some way or another. There is a learning curve to this art.
Melvan View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Melvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 23:57
And don't forget, once the sprouts are up, be sure to have a light breeze blowing on them from a small fan constantly. This, as well as keeping the light close enough, will make for strong stems and help limit stretch.
Pallazo View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Pallazo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 22:26
...the seed didn't sprout so far... guess I'll try another seed.
should I put more then 1 femenized seed to germinate?
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote organicgrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 23:42
If you're planning to grow only one plant you don't need to germinate more than one feminized seed.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 11:06
I must say - in my experience,the moist-tissue-and-paper method is by far the most effective method, especially for beginners.

Sowing directly in the soil is usually fine, but it's not always recommended for beginners, as there's often a period of uncertainty while they wait for seedlings to emerge from the soil. Planting pre-germinated seeds avoids this uncertainty and generally gets seedlings up and running a little faster. Also, with tissue, it's a little easier to maintain the correct level of moisture - and make sure seeds are in a suitably moist section - than it is with soil.

http://en.sensiseeds.com/best-way-to-germinate-seeds/

If performed correctly, there's no problem with manipulating the newly-cracked seed. It should have only 1-3mm of root emerging from the casing when it's removed from the tissue and sown in the soil, so there should be very little possibility of damaging the root. Of course , if seeds are left in the paper for days too long, they can grow long tap-roots and start to put tiny 'hair roots' into the tissue, which can break when the seed is removed. But if seeds are checked every day and sown at the correct time, this will not happen.

It's true that wild cannabis seeds usually don't germinate inside a moist medium (the type of medium doesn't really matter). Then again, in nature, a large proportion of seeds don't even make it into the soil. They just sit on top of the soil (maybe in a shallow layer of humus) for the winter, then crack and force their tap root into the ground. This is why the cannabis root actually emerges from the top of the seed and does a 180 degree turn to sink itself into the soil.

Some growers prefer to sown pre-germinated seeds with the tap-root facing upwards, to allow them to perform their 'natural' movement, but I reckon this is a bit unnecessary. Certainly, sowing root-upwards works well enough and can give the same results as 'root-down' sowing in the hands of an experienced grower. But it's not recommended for beginners. It's another example of the natural way not necessarily giving the best results to the widest range of people.

A lot of grow-info given on this site is of that nature - the simplest method with the best results. Experienced growers have countless variations on every part of the cultivation cycle, and they can all work well once a grower knows what they (and their plants) are doing .

For beginners, the tissue-and-plates method of germination leads to the highest proportion successful seedlings, in our experience. 
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote organicgrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 18:07
Roger :)
Pallazo View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Pallazo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 09:01
thanks for the opinion ganja,

i am currently trying the regular medium method and after some thoughts from other ppl who have grown in my climate say I should give it some light..

i know forums say otherwise, putting the seed away from direct light, possibly in a dark place. thing is i tried that for 14 days and seed was the same. I also thought i could be over watering so this time i only pre wet the medium and watered a single time in about... 4, 5 days? (i check the soil regularly and is moist at all times).

im aware that i should be patient and all... but feminized seeds are supposed to have a very narrow percentage of failure and thats why i think im doin a rly big mistake.. wouldnt want to waste the second bloody seed lol

again thnx for all the feedback
alsc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 15:51
i have tried both and i am a beginner.
i should say that the seedling that were planted with the classic method appeared to be much stronger, while the others (paper towel) germinated faster.

of course in nature this doesn't happen, but agricolture is not natere! :-) i mean, is a technique developed by us to make nature perform as it best; even the most traditional farmers do something that won't happen in nature.
i have spoken with old farmers (tomatoes and various local vegetables mostly).
many of them use cotton to germinate or very thin women stockings (sorry, i don't know the proper word). i spoke with a melon farmer who used this method (wet women stockings) for hundreds of seeds!
(sorry if this paragraph is a bit tricky... i don't know how to explain better in english... hope it's understandable).

right now i'm using the paper towels method... we'll see!
i hope with this method most seeds will sprout at the same time. in my last grow, one seed sprouted a week after the 3 others... maybe i won't get better results, but wanted to try! :-)

good luck with your germination!

ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2012 at 18:48
Can I ask for being more accurate on this 'timing' input, with regards to the two different options...?
when one is using the tissue option, then you can immediatly see when something happens with the seed.
But when u sow it directly in the medium (1 cm deep more or less ?) then it take smore time until you see something on the surface of the soil... right?

So when one say 36 to 72 hrs, can I assume it is for the initial emerging from the seed itself, and the emerging from the soil will take some more time?

thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>