Industrial Hemp > Sensi Seeds > Growing Archives > Systems - Setups, Equipment, Mediums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bowen View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Setup
    Posted: 08 January 2006 at 17:59

Ok Guys - this is it!

its a 2m by 1.5m by 3m Homemade Box inside a room vented to window - also has mesh covered intake holes (no fan yet tho). With the option of switching to outdoor - (Back yard)

600w HPS covering 9-12 pots - Going for a few big 1's instead of SoG

Growing on soil - Biobizz allmix + Nutes

Just wondering guys if you could help me come up with a feed schedule. I'm dead set on growing White Widow. Any special info i need to know? i.e top - don't top? will i need any additive's to boost its defence's from mould and such? 

Still waiting on my soil and nutes so plenty of time yet.

When i get up 'n' runnin' i'll update the photo album.

P.s theres a 5' fan with matching carbon filter, will i need any other smell control?

Thanks in advance guys - Hopefully i can buy you all a j sometime in the DAM

Things are looking up.........grind through it and you'll get there :)
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2006 at 16:49

Topping White Widow is probably a good idea if you want to maximise yield on big plants.

Just make sure you give the plants adequate time to grow strong new shoots between the last pruning and the beginning of flowering. If you flower too soon after cutting the main stem of an Indica, it may respond by failing to grow two new stems and growing buds only on the surrounding branches. You can still get a nice yield from such plants, but they'd have been better with one or more central stems.

As ever, some plants will produce their best yield and biggest buds when grown with a single main stem. Cloning and comparing is the best way to decide.

After you prune stems and branches, causing them to double, the most basic way to increase the chance of them becoming heavy producers is to allow them time to develop strong growth before flowering.

If you're growing 9-12 large plants in about 3m/sq of floor space, you might want to prune lower branches early on, to stop the plants shading one another. Plants that feel they are competing for space may be encouraged to stretch.

Does the Allmix come with a quantity of perlite, or some other material to aid drainage? If not (or if it doesn't look like much), you might want to add some.

The nutrients should have a feeding schedule as part of their directions. Many organic nutrients are designed for occasional feeding (once per week or fortnight, in some cases). Others are designed to be given more regularly at a lower dosage. Hopefully, the packet/bottle will tell you more about this.

Presumably, the nutrients are sold in a growing formula and a flowering formula. If they don't include advice about increasing dosage over time, just start with a lower concentration of each formula and increase as each stage progresses.

You could start at half-strength growing formula for young seedlings and clones, rising to full strength over the next few waterings.

Widow will appreciate plenty of nutrients, so you could start flowering with three-quarter-strength flowering nutrient and increase to full strength over the first few weeks of flowering.

If the instructions given by the nutrient's manufacturer contradict any of the above, you should go with the advice on the bottle.

Strong, healthy plants are most resistant to mould, disease and pests. So keep your plants as happy as possible and they'll shrug off many problems on their own.

Widow may grow especially large colas, so be sure to keep humidity down in the second half of flowering.

Killing with kindness is one of the most common reasons for weak plants - over-watering and over-feeding. Never exceed the recommended dosage of nutrients, unless you're certain your plants need it.

Don't keep your plants' growing medium constantly saturated, unless you have something to boost the amount of air in the medium This is more applicable to hydro mediums. Soil is hard to mechanically aerate, so you should just make sure it's capable of good drainage and don't keep it constantly wet.

Growing in soil, especially with larger plants, will require you to repot a few times, so that the plants don't become root-bound.

It's usually better to start small plants in small pots and continue repotting gradually. You might start in half-litre pots and finish in 10lt or 20lt containers, with one to three steps in between.

There's an enormous amount of extra material about soil  - different mixes, treatments, care, micro-organisms and pH. But as long as you start with clean, healthy soil and don't overdo anything, it shouldn't give you too much trouble in the three months or so that you'll be using each batch.

Many indoor soil growers end up pretty close to hydro growers, in the end. Soil gets leached of its nutrients and becomes just a place for roots to anchor themselves while new food is are added in soluble form.

This isn't meant as a criticism against soil growing, just that there shouldn't be too much difference between the end product of well-grown organic and well-grown hydro. There are even certified organic hydro mixes now.

One of the things about terms like 'bio' and 'organic' is that they have an emormous variation in meaning, depending on who uses them. Jorge Cervantes made some really good points about this in an interview he gave at the 2002 Cannabis Cup.

Suffice to say that under a strict defintion of 'organic', most indoor plants don't qualify. Nor do many outdoor plants.

The fan and carbon filter should be enough for the early stages. If you grow especially thick buds, you might need a bigger fan and to change (or upgrade) the filter.

It's debatable whether you'll need the filter in the growing stage, but better safe than sorry, in most cases.

Edited by Ganja
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Bowen View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Bowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2006 at 14:20
Thanks for the amazin reply Ganja - Been a while I know, my laptop is on the fritz lol

Bit of an update, My growBox is going to be 2.5m by 1.5 with only 1.5m of headroom, will this be sufficient?

Going to try and get a massive filter after the first month of Veg, Line the bottom of pots with perlite or hydroton pebbles.

Just wondering how many plants my 600w HPS can provide for on that floor area, without losing efficiency?

I reckon that my box will keep fairly warm but if it goes too hot or humid how can i gain control over them? fan speed controller or something?

Also can i take clones in rockwool and plant them in soil? I think you can but i'm not sure.

After some serious consideration i'm going to let my plants have a single cola, since this is my first grow i have no real idea of what i'm doing lol, So topping is definitly out for me, at least untill my second harvest with the clones.

Any and all comments are welcome.
As well as any help lol
Bowen View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Bowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2006 at 16:59
*bump*

Just bumping this back into the active topics

Today I just got word from my brother that a trip to amsterdam could be in the works for April. This is music to my ears at the minute, seeing as N.ireland has almost run out of smoke, We're currently going through the worst drought i've ever heard of.

Any other Sensi students going to the DAM in april (not sure of an exact date yet). Would love to meet for a smoke up

This may be my last post for a while - My laptop is getting shipped off to be fixed.

My grow was set back again due to financial difficulty's lol, but i'm determined to get a forest of white widow soon.

P.s Anyone feeling the effects of the drought in my neck of the woods? Prices have gotten even crazier for the commercial user.
Bowen View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Bowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2006 at 23:07

Bit of an update -

Just bought the hesi nutrients range

Waitin on a 6" fan/filter kit

Also - just found out that my order for seeds was sent back - sorry sensi

Theres a strike goin on here (postal strike) for some reason my envelope was returned to me.

Hopefully I will send out this order to you soon sensi seed's.

When i get these i'll be up and runnin

Any tips on puttin the box together? i.e making it light tight, best way to fit all components into it?

Any 1 check out my white widow post? need som info pls

Post Reply Post Reply