cfl bulbs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
wulber88 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Online Status: Offline
  Quote wulber88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cfl bulbs
    Posted: 29 January 2012 at 21:00
im just starting two jack plants under a cfl bulb, will i get a good result as this is my first time growing need help??
mellow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2012 at 17:43
Hey wulber,

How many plants and what watt and colur is the CFL.

CFL blues are good for the vegitive stage, but most people flower the plants under a hps.

Let me know a little bit more about your set up and I'll try to help.
Melvan View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Melvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2012 at 18:15
CFLs will work if they're the proper wattage for the space and color spectrum. They can't just be cfls like you put in your lamps at home. Blue will work for veg great, but you'll need to swap one out for a red when you start to flower, or use full spectrum from beginning to end.

Good luck on your first grow, welcome to the best hobby in the world.
alsc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2012 at 19:29
there's this a very nice grow diary, by this grower called "SeeMoreBuds", a small book called: "Buds For Less" :-)
it is a daily diary of a mango plant from germination to harvest.
he uses a smart system of several small wattage cfls (i think he uses 40-50w each or even less): a simple system (very easy to set up) but very effective, since the light gets the plant from any direction.
very nice pictures, check it out!
in 69 days from seed-gemination he harvests about 85 grams from that single mango plant.
it's nice because he shows that you can grow a decent crop with a simple cheap cfl system.

good luck!
alsc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2012 at 19:41
by the way, i'm also using a 6400 K° CFL (200 W) for my 5 veg plants-
i'll be switching to a 250W hps in flowering (yes this is what most people do).
with cfl the key is to keep the bulb very close to plants' top. the bulb emits very low heat and it is working great to keep the plants short (when you keep the bulb as close as you don't burn any leaves - my 13 days old white-skunk is 9 cm in height and 20 cm in width).
mellow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2012 at 19:46
Hey ALSC,

There's a chap called sticky on this forum who flowers with red CFL's

Have a read of THIS
alsc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2012 at 20:28
very nice diary, preatty impressive! thanks...
but he uses also 2 75W hps lights... but i've seen other people doing amazing stuff with red cfl in flowering.
(http://forum.sensiseeds.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8590&PN=12)

maybe i'll give it a try in the future, for now i'll use the hps for flowering.
cfls are a lot easier to use... no ballast, no sound... very nice!

coverking View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote coverking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2012 at 00:09
Originally posted by alsc

very nice diary, preatty impressive! thanks...
but he uses also 2 75W hps lights... but i've seen other people doing amazing stuff with red cfl in flowering.
(http://forum.sensiseeds.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8590&PN=12)

maybe i'll give it a try in the future, for now i'll use the hps for flowering.
cfls are a lot easier to use... no ballast, no sound... very nice!

check out my profile i grew a big bang clone with a 250 watt red spec cfl maxibright with reflector to be exact.i vegged for 8 weeks and i topped it twice and got just under 2 oz,with work! not bad but with a hps i can bang out over 2 oz, a plant easy with only 4 weeks veg and thats without topping! so i tend to use my cfl in the heat of the summer if things get a bit to warm,,,,CK
Growing Weed is like a Game of Chess! You must think before you move!
coverking View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote coverking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2012 at 00:17

there's this a very nice grow diary, by this grower called "SeeMoreBuds", a small book called: "Buds For Less" :-)
it is a daily diary of a mango plant from germination to harvest.
he uses a smart system of several small wattage cfls (i think he uses 40-50w each or even less): a simple system (very easy to set up) but very effective, since the light gets the plant from any direction.
very nice pictures, check it out!
in 69 days from seed-gemination he harvests about 85 grams from that single mango plant.
it's nice because he shows that you can grow a decent crop with a simple cheap cfl system.

good luck!

hi alsc nothing cheap about cfl when you do the maths a cfl is very much less productive than a HID lamp, cfls dont need ballasts but the bulbs the propper grow ones, cost double an hps and when you think about it upon harvest the resin production and yield would have paid you back seven fold! in extra bud its literally only pence saved in power consumption with a less of a final product for qaulity and quantity i use cfl but only where i have to and thats usualy because circumstances force me good luck ,,,,,,CK
alsc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2012 at 17:00
yes i agree with you coveking.
in fact, i'm using the cfl only for the veg phase.

i was only trying to state that there are many good things about cfls: no noise, less consuption, easy to set up, no heat (very useful if in your area the police is doing infrared detection! they won't see a cfl bulb).
and this guy SeeMoreBuds shows that you can grow a nice crop in 69 days using cfls in the right way!

i'll have a look at your work as well.

god bless the sharing of knowledge!
alsc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2012 at 17:27
Originally posted by coverking

check out my profile i grew a big bang clone with a 250 watt red spec cfl maxibright with reflector to be exact.i vegged for 8 weeks and i topped it twice and got just under 2 oz,with work! not bad but with a hps i can bang out over 2 oz, a plant easy with only 4 weeks veg and thats without topping! so i tend to use my cfl in the heat of the summer if things get a bit to warm,,,,CK

just saw your pics... very nice buds!
this is my opinion:
the problem with cfl lights is that - unlike HID lights - they have a limited penetration, so it would be difficult to give the proper light to flowering plants bigger that 50 cm in height with one cfl.
that't why they work great when plants are still small: you can keep the bulb very close to the plant so plants won't stretch too much in search for light.
the system SeeMoreBuds shows in his book is smart because he uses many smaller bulbs and the plant gets the light from ANY direction.
it just theoretical speaking but maybe you would have gotten a better result (even if you did a great work!) with the same amount of watts but place differently... one 100W from the top and 2 75w from the sides...

best,
alsc
coverking View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote coverking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2012 at 19:19

Originally posted by coverking

just saw your pics... very nice buds!
this is my opinion:
the problem with cfl lights is that - unlike HID lights - they have a limited penetration, so it would be difficult to give the proper light to flowering plants bigger that 50 cm in height with one cfl.
that't why they work great when plants are still small: you can keep the bulb very close to the plant so plants won't stretch too much in search for light.
the system SeeMoreBuds shows in his book is smart because he uses many smaller bulbs and the plant gets the light from ANY direction.
it just theoretical speaking but maybe you would have gotten a better result (even if you did a great work!) with the same amount of watts but place differently... one 100W from the top and 2 75w from the sides...

best,
alsc

thanks but it raises the question of if cfl are indeed better how come everyone who produces large strong indoor crops have a hps swinging above them. its a fact that cfl can do the job, but HID is much more affective and all the systems in the world wont beat lamps that over all out perform cfl, carefully placed hps!! now your talking. ive had cfl in every position available, and its a fact that HPS is the leader it would be nice to think we could grow loads of bud with cfl without heat issues etc, but you pay a price for not having the heat and thats lack of final substance! because all in all the cfl light intensity is not going to penetrate the canopy enough oh and if cfl was to be proven better than HID, there would be no more MH/HPS for sale on the market, commen scense realy ,,,,,,,CK
alsc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2012 at 19:53
totally agree with you.
Mr Beamish View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Mr Beamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2012 at 01:13
growing under cfls  ok for vegatiive stage  but for flower you need hpd  high pressure sodium lighting   normally known as sylvania growlux     even better if you can to entire cycle on growlux    cfls no good for flower stage     i use cfls  known as compact enviro lights    for veg stage    use hps for flower
mellow View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2012 at 12:16
a hps cost's about 15% more money to run than a CFL,m but I wouldn't attempt to flower under a CFL, cause I can see there limitations in veg, so I wouldn't trust em in flower.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>